Sunday, July 6, 2014

DIY: How To Write With Sparklers & Photograph Them

Hello, Lovelies!
 
 
As all of you know this past Friday was America's birthday and to celebrate like the over the top Americans we are we shoot of flaming balls of fire. Doesn't everyone to that to celebrate the birth of a country?!?!
 
Anyways for years now I've seen people write words with sparklers and photograph them. I've always wanted to try but figured I'm no photography pro so I figured my pictures wouldn't even turn out. But this year I thought I'd give it a go and see what happens.
 
I ended up having 8 packs of sparklers hoping out of all those that I'd be able to make one picture look okay. And to my surprise almost all the photos turned out.
 
 



 
Another option is using a glow stick or flash light.
 



 
 
What you'll need:
 
DSLR Camera ( I used Canon T3i) or point & shoot that will let you change settings
 
Tripod
 
Sparklers
 
Lighter
 
Assistant (Someone to take the pictures)
 
 
Camera settings: How I achieved the above looks.
 
Set camera to Manual mode
 
F5.6
 
ISO 100
 
White Balance Tungsten light or Cloudy
 
Shutter Speed
 
For shapes 5-10 seconds
 
Names 15-20
 
Personally I wasn't very good a writing names but my Dad was great at it. He wrote multiple names and words. The best I could do was a heart and figure eight. But then again this was my first try and I feel like it turned out pretty darn good for not knowing what I was doing. I really want to try this again with my cousin cause' I really think he would enjoy it.
 
If you do this or have done this send me a link to your photos.
 
 
Have any questions or are having trouble changing a setting on your camera let me know and I will try my best to help you. Like I said before I am no professional I just like taking pictures and playing with Sparklers.
Enjoy & Happy 4th of July Weekend!
 
Love
Emily


No comments :

Post a Comment